How do I apply for a building, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical permit?
What will I need to apply for a building permit?
How much is a building permit?
How long is a building permit good for?
When do I schedule a building inspection?
How do I apply for a building, electrical,
plumbing, or mechanical permit?
Permit applications are available at the Thomas Township Office or you may
download a copy here. Fill out the application completely and return it to
the Thomas Township Building Inspector along with all other required documents.
Once the application has been submitted the building inspector will review
it and the fees will be set. No construction shall be started until approval
is given by the building inspector.
If you have any questions please contact the building inspector at the Thomas
Township Offices at 989-781-0150 ext. 201.
- Application (available at the township office or online)
- Site plan to include property lines, driveway(s), easements, road right-of-way,
proposed construction, existing structures, and any additional important information.
- Soil and Erosion Permit may be required by Saginaw County Public Works
- Additional permits may also be required from the Department of Environmental
Quality (DEQ), Saginaw County Health Department , Saginaw County Road Commission.
- For residential new construction or additional construction one set of plans
- For commercial construction 4 sets of stamped and signed plans are required.
- A check for the total permit fee.
Once the permit has been issued it is good for 180 days from date of issue.
Work on the project may not be halted for more than 6 months at a time.
24 hours in advance to schedule all inspections**
New Home or Addition to Existing Home, New Commercial Building or Addition
to Existing Commercial Building:
- Footing Inspection — before pouring concrete
- Backfill Inspection — before backfilling footing
- Frame/Rough In Inspection — before hanging drywall or covering
- Final Inspection