Hawkers and Peddlers Permit Information
Hawkers and peddlers are required to complete a permit to conduct business in Thomas Township. Hawkers and peddlers are defined as any person who travels from place to place to sell goods. Applicants must file a sworn statement that includes their name, permanent home address and local address, drivers license or other identification, a description of vehicles and their license numbers, a brief description of their business and goods to be sold, their employer if applicable, the length of time desired for conducting business not to exceed ten days for each license, the place where goods are manufactured or produced. The cost of the registration, which must be displayed for the general public to see, is $10.
The term “hawker” or “peddler” as used in this Article, shall mean any person who travels from house to house or place to place to sell or offer for sale, or expose for sale, any goods, wares or merchandise to any person or a dealer therein, or take orders for the purchase of goods, wares or merchandise by samples, lists, or catalog, or subscription for magazines and books from any person not a dealer therein.
The provisions of this Article shall not apply to a person taking orders or making sales at residential premises pursuant to an invitation from the owner or legal occupant of the premises.
The provisions of this Article shall not apply to churches, schools and other area nonprofit organizations. (Ord. 97-G-26, 10-6-1997, eff. 11-14-1997)
2-3B-2: REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
A. Registration Required: No person except as described in Section 2-3B-1 of this Article shall conduct or assist with the business of a hawker or peddler within the limits of the Township, unless he/she shall have registered with the office of Township Clerk.
B. Sworn Statement: Any person seeking to register with the office of the Township Clerk as a hawker or peddler shall file a sworn statement attesting to the following information which must be furnished on a form to be provided by the Clerk’s office.
1. Name and description of the applicant, including:
a. Permanent home address and local address.
b. Driver’s license, if none, State picture identification; or other picture identification necessary to establish certain identity of applicant.
2. Name and identification of all persons who will be soliciting or canvassing within the Township.
3. A description of all vehicles and their license numbers to be used in connection with the business of peddler within the Township.
4. A brief description of the nature of the business and the goods to be sold.
5. If employed, the name and address of the employer, together with credentials establishing exact relationship.
6. The length of time for which the right to do business is desired which shall not exceed ten (10) days for each license requested.
7. The place where the goods or property proposed to be sold, or orders taken for the sale thereof, are manufactured or produced, where such goods or products are located at the time said application is filed, and the proposed method of delivery.
C. Display Of Registration: A copy of the registration, supplied by Thomas Township, shall be displayed for the general public to see at all times that a person or persons registered under the terms of this Ordinance are conducting business regulated by this Ordinance. (Ord. 97-G-26, 10-6-1997, eff. 11-14-1997)