All solicitors on behalf of charitable organizations need to register with the Township Clerk’s office under Ordinance 2-3D-2. Those interested may stop by the Township office during regular business hours to pick up a form or click here to download the form (Adobe Acrobat Reader is required). Forms must be returned in person to the Clerk’s office.
For the purpose of this Article, the following definitions shall apply, unless a different meaning is clearly indicated by the context:
CHARITABLE: Shall mean and include the words patriotic, philanthropic, social service, welfare, benevolent, educational, civic or fraternal, whether actual or purported.
CONTRIBUTION: Shall mean and include the words alms, food, clothing, money, subscription, property or donations under the guise of a loan of money or property.
PERSON: Shall mean any individual firm, copartnership, corporation, company, association or joint stock association, church, religious sect, religious denomination, society, organization or league, and includes any trustee, receiver, assignee, agent, or other similar representative thereof.
PROMOTER: Shall mean any person who promotes, manages, supervises, organizes, or attempts to promote, manage, supervise, or organize a campaign of solicitation.
RELIGIOUS AND RELIGION: Shall not mean and include the word “charitable” as herein defined, but shall be given their commonly accepted definitions.
SOLICIT AND SOLICITATION: Shall mean the request, directly or indirectly, of money, credit, property, financial assistance, or other thing of value on the plea or representation that such money, credit, property, financial assistance, or other thing of value will be used for a charitable or religious purpose by means of going from door to door. (Ord. 97-G-26, 10-6-1997, eff. 11-14-1997)
2-3D-2: REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
A. Registration Required: No person except as described in subsection B of this Section shall “solicit” as defined in this Article unless he/she shall have registered with the office of Township Clerk.
B. Exemptions From Provisions: The provisions of this Article shall not apply to any established society, association or corporation that is organized and operated exclusively for religious, philanthropic, benevolent, fraternal, or charitable purposes, and where the solicitation of such organization is conducted among the members thereof by other members, officers or employees thereof, or where such solicitation is in the form of collection or contributions at the regular exercises or services of any church, religious society, lodge, benevolent order or similar organization.
C. Information Required: Any person seeking to register as required by this Article shall file a sworn statement attesting to the following information which must be furnished on a form to be provided by the Clerk’s office.
1. Name, address or headquarters of the applicant.
2. If the applicant is not an individual, the names and addresses of the applicant’s principal officers and managers and a copy of the resolution, if any, authorizing such solicitation, certified to as a true and correct copy of the original by the officer having charge of the applicant’s records.
3. The purpose and use for which such solicitation is to be made.
4. The name and address of the person who will be in direct charge of conducting the solicitation, and the names of all promoters connected or to be connected with the proposed solicitation.
5. An outline of the method or methods to be used in conducting the solicitation.
6. The time when such solicitation shall be made, giving the dates for the beginning and ending of such solicitation.
7. The amount of any wages, fees, commissions, expenses or emoluments to be expended or paid to any person in connection with such solicitation, and the names and addresses of all such persons.
8. A statement that the actual cost of the solicitation will not exceed twenty five percent (25%) of the total amount to be raised.
9. A statement to the effect that, proof of registration provided by the Township will not be used or represented in any way as an endorsement by the Township or by any department or officer thereof.
10. Such other information as may be reasonably required by the Township in order for the Township to determine the kind and character of the proposed solicitation.
D. Possession Of Registration Required: All persons registered under this Article shall have a copy of said registration in their immediate possession at all times when conducting the business of solicitation in Thomas Township and shall show proof upon the request of any person solicited or any police officer. (Ord. 97-G-26, 10-6-1997, eff. 11-14-1997)