What is an Absentee Ballot?
An absentee ballot is a ballot that gets mailed to your home each election. You can also pick up an absentee ballot in the Clerk’s office prior to an election. You are eligible to receive an absentee ballot if you meet one of the following qualifications;
- You are 60 years of age or older
- You expect to be absent from your community in which you are registered for the entire time the polls are open on election day
- You are physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another
- You cannot attend the polls because of the tenets of your religion
- You have been appointed an election precinct inspector in a precinct other than where you reside
- You cannot attend the polls because I am confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial
Permanent Absentee Ballot List:
Thomas Township maintains a list of voters who have requested they be placed on the permanent absentee ballot list. By having your name placed on this list, you will receive an APPLICATION FOR ABSENT VOTERS BALLOT each and every election. This application is NOT the ballot, but must be filled out each and every election before we can mail your ballot to you. If you would like to be placed on the permanent list, all you need to do is call the Clerk’s office at (989) 781-0150 or send a quick written note to; Thomas Township Clerk’s Office, 249 North Miller Road, Saginaw, MI 48609.
Absentee Ballot Process:
Once the application for an Absent Voter’s Ballot is filled out and returned to the local Clerk’s office, the Clerk will make sure you are registered to vote in Thomas Township by the deadline established for each election (30 days prior). Once it has been determined that you are qualified to recieve an absentee ballot, the Clerk’s office will process the request and mail your ballot to you. You must return your absentee ballot to the Clerk’s office any time once you complete it, however it MUST be returned no later than 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
YOU MUST NOT DROP OFF YOUR COMPLETED BALLOT TO A PRECINCT LOCATION.
YOU MAY NOT GO TO THE PRECINCTS TO VOTE IF YOU HAVE BEEN ISSUED AN ABSENTEE BALLOT. IF YOU HAVE MISPLACED YOUR BALLOT AND WISH TO VOTE IN PERSON, YOU MUST VISIT THE CLERK’S OFFICE BEFORE YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO VOTE IN THE POLLS.